(17th and early 18th centuries)
PLANTATION (STUART, CROMWELLIAN AND WILLIAMITE)
Parke's Castle, Co Leitrim, bawn (fortified manor house) under the care of the Heritage Service and the Office of Public Works. Located on R286 between Manorhamilton and Sligo, on a beautiful site overlooking Lough Gill. Contains an exhibitions, video presentations, tearoom, car park. Open Tuesday - Sunday from April to October, every day June to September, 10am to 5pm. Admission charge, phone +353 71 64149.
Ulster History Park reconstruction of a typical plantation settlement.
Ulster History Park reconstruction of a typical plantation period bawn (fortified manor house).
the manor house;
the entrance and surrounding wall from interior.
interior of main ground-floor room.
Kilkenny Castle, Co. Kilkenny. Originally a 12th century Anglo-Norman stone castle built by William Marshall, Earl of Pembroke, Strongbow's son-in law. Bought by James Butler, third Earl of Ormond at the end of the 14th century. In 1650 the twelfth Earl (also James Butler) was beseiged here by Cromwell during the times of the Confederate Council and Parliament of Kilkenny. Cromwell's cannon levelled the now-missing south wall. The castle was rebuilt after the restoration in a French "chateau" style. Its final rebuilding was during the 19th century. Most of the features date from these two rebuilds although they stand on the original medieval building plan. The castle is under the care of the Heritage Service and the Office of Public Works. Admission to castle by guided tour only, grounds open free to public. Admission charge, open throughout the year. Phone: +353 56 63488.
The northern curtain wall and towers, much rebuilt, as seen from the original 17th century formal gardens which were laid out in the form of Celtic cross.
View of the 19th century long gallery that replaced the derelict east wing.
Looking from the south, the round towers are basically original although much adapted in the 19th century to make them look "authentically" medieval and provide suitable accomodation for visitng guests.
The western wall and mural towers, together with the 19th century gateway entrance, the original medieval gatehouse was in the south wall. Part of the original 12th century battered walls have recently been revealed here by archaeological excavation.
"OLD ENGLISH" AND GAELIC IRISH ARISTOCRACY
Rothe House, Parliament Street, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny. Built 1594 by John Rothe Fitz-piers, a prosperous Catholic Tudor merchant. Comprised three separate buildings linked by smaller buildings along the north side to form an E-shaped plan. A gabled, double-fronted house, the upper storeys of Tudor Gothic style while the arcaded ground floor with panelled piers is in a later, early 17th century style. The house was confiscated from the family in 1653 for their support of the Confederation Parliament but received it back at the English Restoration in 1660. The house is in the care of Kilkenny Archaeological Society and is open throughout the year, phone +353 56 22893 for details. There are various displays including the society's excellent collection of local finds covering both the prehistoric and historic periods, a costume exhibition and an excellent bookshop.
Rothe House street frontage showing the Tudor upper floors and later arcaded ground floor used for the storage of goods.
View of the second house from the first courtyard, note the plaque above the corner doorway with the date 1610.
The first-floor long gallery, originally two wainscotted rooms; note the fine oak ceiling.
The restored roof of unseasoned Irish oak, mortised and pegged in a late-medieval style.
The Confederation or Kilkenny Parliament, memorial, Kilkenny town. The parliament sat from 1642 until defeated by Cromwell's forces in 1649.